Maybe you’ve been curious about Ben Wa balls since Christian gave a set to Ana in Fifty Shades. Maybe you already have a set and wonder if you’re using them right.
Or, maybe you have no idea what we’re talking about and just want some clarity. No matter what you do or don’t know, we’re about to go deep exploring all things Kegel exercises, and of course, Ben Wa balls.
What Are Ben Wa Balls?
Kegel balls, Venus balls, love balls, orgasm balls — no matter the name, they refer to the same item. Ben Wa balls are a set of balls, usually tethered together with silicone or string, that are inserted into your vagina. They have been around for centuries for added sexual pleasure and for strengthening the pelvic floor muscles.
Most Ben Wa balls today are made from metal, glass, and/or silicone. They’re readily available in different weights and sizes. Ben Wa balls are held inside your vagina by your pelvic muscles, which is basically like giving your sex muscles a little workout.
If you’re thinking this sounds like it could be fun, you’re right. These balls are also used for heightening sexual pleasure and helping women achieve a deep, vaginal orgasm.
Your Pelvic Floor
Before we get into the juicy stuff, let’s talk about how Ben Wa balls can help keep your pelvic floor strong. Your pelvic floor is the muscle that contracts when you have an orgasm. Over time, your pelvic muscles weaken. This can happen because of:
– Pregnancy. Carrying a baby puts added weight and pressure on your pelvic floor. Multiple pregnancies can cause pelvic muscles to weaken even more.
– Vaginal birth. If you’ve given birth vaginally, you are also at risk of weakened pelvic muscles.
– Chronic constipation. We’re not talking about the occasional difficult time using the restroom — we mean if you’re constipated a lot. When you’re chronically constipated, you’ll likely end up straining when trying to go, which can affect your pelvic floor muscles.
Strengthening your pelvic floor is a great idea for any woman. It has a lot of benefits that any woman will enjoy. If you’re worried your pelvic floor is weakened however, you can look for some signs. Here are a few things to look out for:
– Leaking urine. Maybe you leak a little when you laugh or sneeze, or maybe when you’re doing heavy physical activity. Leaking urine can be a sign that your pelvic muscles are weak.
– Toilet trouble. Issues making it to the bathroom in time, passing gas on accident, and losing complete control of your bladder are all signs you might have a weak pelvic floor.
– Pain. In later stages of pelvic floor weakness, you can even experience pain in your groin (near your perineum) and pain during sex.
How To Use Ben Wa Balls For Kegel Exercises
Thankfully, there are things you can do to keep those sex muscles strong. One of the best ways to keep your pelvic floor pumped up is by doing Kegel exercises. Kegel exercises, or “Kegels” are done by squeezing your pelvic muscles and releasing them. Think of it like a little vaginal bicep curl.
You can easily perform a Kegel by simply contracting your pelvic floor muscle, holding it for five seconds, and releasing. Wait five seconds, then repeat. A good Kegel routine is three sets of ten reps per day.
If you feel like you’ve mastered the plain Kegel, you may want to level up and try Kegels with Ben Wa balls. Once you’ve mastered Kegels this transition is pretty simple.
First, you need to insert the Ben Wa balls. Here’s how:
- Wash your hands and Ben Wa balls and dry them completely.
- Lie on your back with your legs spread.
- Apply a generous amount of lube onto your vaginal opening, and on the tip of the first Ben Wa ball.
- Gently insert the ball into your vagina as far as is comfortable. If there is a string or silicone tether between the first and second ball, insert that also.
- Slide the second ball into your vagina, as far as is comfortable.
- You should now have both Ben Wa balls inserted into your vagina. The bottom tether or string should be hanging out, kind of like a tampon string.
Sit up and make sure the Ben Wa balls are in a comfortable position. If they feel like they’re falling out, or if you can feel the bottom of the second ball in your vaginal opening, push them further up.
Once the balls are positioned correctly, you can perform a Kegel exercise just like you did before the balls were inserted. The added weight of the Ben Wa balls can help tighten and strengthen your pelvic floor because they provide more resistance. Think of it as weight training for your vagina.
After a few Kegels with your Ben Wa balls, you might realize there’s even more benefit to them than just tightening your pelvic muscles. They’re also excellent in providing added stimulation during sex or masturbation.
How to Use Ben Wa Balls With Sex
Do enough Kegel exercises and you might just think it’s time for a solo sex sesh! Ben Wa balls can be incredibly erotic and can help you achieve a vaginal orgasm.
To use Ben Wa balls on your own, try these tips:
– Practice. Insert your Ben Wa balls and practice a few Kegel exercises until you are fully aroused. Stimulate your clitoris and other favorite areas as much as you want. The Ben Wa balls should increase the intensity you feel.
– Use a vibrator or other toy. With your Ben Wa balls inserted, use a vibrator to stimulate other erogenous areas. When you climax, the sensation will be more intense and you will likely feel it deeper inside your vagina than you normally do.
You can use Ben Wa balls with your partner, too. You can insert the balls yourself or have your partner help you. The key is that your arousal intensifies the longer you have them in. Consider wearing them on an entire date and finishing up with some mind-blowing sex when you get home.
Risks Of Using Ben Wa Balls
Ben Wa balls are generally considered safe to use, as long as you play by the rules. Here are some things to keep in mind:
– Wash your balls. Seriously, wash them before and after every use. This can eliminate bacteria which could cause you to experience a vaginal infection. If you get a vaginal infection, you might have to put sex on the back burner until it goes away.
– Don’t put them in your anus. They aren’t designed to go there. If you’re looking for anal stimulation, you can wear your Ben Wa balls vaginally while you or your partner provides anal stimulation.
– Don’t overdo it on the Kegels. Squeezing and contracting your pelvic muscles too hard and for too long can damage them, so stick to 3-5 second squeezes at a time with rest in between.
– Don’t leave them in too long. Typically you won’t want to leave them in longer than five to ten minutes to begin with. You should never leave them in longer than six hours.
What To Do If You Get Irritation Or An Infection
If you’ve been hitting your Ben Wa ball Kegels hard and have been forgetting to wash them after each use, you may have developed an infection. If that’s the case, just discontinue using them until your infection clears.
You might have a vaginal infection (like bacterial vaginosis (BV), or a yeast infection) if you have any of these symptoms:
- – Burning, itching, and irritation in and around your vagina and vulva
- – Discharge; thick and chunky for yeast, or thin and greenish-yellow for BV
- – Pain during sex or urinating
- – Fish-like odor especially noticeable after sex or your period
If you’ve got an infection, you aren’t alone. Nearly 30% of American women experience BV at some point in their lives, and the rate of yeast infections is as high as 75%.
If you’re experiencing itching, irritation, burning, and/or discharge related to BV or a yeast infection you’ll want to treat it quickly. Luckily you have a lot of great options for treating BV or a yeast infection from home. As long as these symptoms aren’t brand new for you, it’s safe to try at home options. If you have new symptoms definitely see your doctor before trying anything yourself.
You can treat BV (and yeast infections) with Boric Acid. VeeCleanse is a great option for Boric Acid suppositories to treat BV or a yeast infection. It’s easy to use and Boric Acid is so effective even many doctors recommend it to their patients.
Kegels Are Your Friend
Remember that Ben Wa balls and Kegels are supposed to help you. They both are meant to make your pelvic floor stronger, and sex more enjoyable. Don’t get too frustrated if you need to practice a few times to get it right. The effort will be worth it when you’re enjoying that next great O.