Alright, let’s get right to it ladies. Do you ever wonder why it smells weird down there? And better yet, what the heck you can do to make vaginal odor go away?
As women, the majority of us tend to be quite self-conscious. So when our vaginas smell off, most of us ladies are not too pleased about it.
But the truth is, there is a range of reasons why it might smell a little funky down there. In most cases, the smell is totally normal.
As we always like to mention, we want our community of women to feel comfortable and confident with their vaginas. That means it is important to understand why your vagina has certain smells. We also want you to have useful tricks and tips to make that unwanted smell go away.
But first things first, let’s talk about what vagina odor actually is!
What is vaginal odor, anyway?
In most cases, vagina odor is a result of discharge coming from your vaginal region. When this happens, it is a totally natural thing that women experience. But, there is such a thing about it smelling too strong or lingering for too long.
If the vaginal odor is a result of a normal female process, the smell should be mild and temporary. But if you notice that the smell is lingering and is very noticeable then you need to give your OB/GYN a call.
What causes vaginal odor?
So, there are normal and natural reasons for vaginal odor. But as we have also mentioned, there are many not so normal reasons that it occurs.
Here are common reasons why vaginal odor occurs for reasons other than just your standard vaginal discharge.
- – Your tampon has been in for too long. This is very common when girls are on their period. Life happens and we sometimes forget that we have a tampon in! The smell is a result of your body trying to get it out of there itself. It’s giving you a warning sign to help get it out. It can also be an early onset of toxic shock syndrome.
- – You have developed an infection. Another common reason for vaginal odor is a symptom of you developing a vaginal infection. A very common vaginal infection is bacterial vaginosis. This happens when the natural pH levels in our vagina become unbalanced. These infections can normally be treated quite quickly if you act fast!
- – Your diet. What we eat must always come out. Our diet has a direct impact on how our region down there smells. When we eat something that is out of the norm for our diet our body sometimes just does not know how to handle it. So our vagina gets a weird odor as a result.
- – You are about to start your period. For most women, we get to deal with our period once a month. And that means our hormones go a bit whack. Things get a bit overheated down there as mother nature runs her course on us. As a result of all these changes, a lot of women get a strange smelling vaginal odor mixed into their period.
- – You are sexually active. Our vaginas take in a lot when we are sexually active. So it is common for our vaginas to develop a strange odor after one too many nights of fun. When we are sexually active, our blood circulation and pH balance changes. Semen and other things, like sweat, can cause odors. A vaginal odor after sex may also indicate that you have an STI. This is just a friendly reminder from us to always practice safe sex!
Can I get rid of the odor?
Good news ladies, there is a range of ways to deal vaginal odor! We are going to share our top tricks to help you deal with life when things get a bit unpleasant down there.
1. Invest in vaginal cleaning products
Ladies, take note—not all body wash products are created equally! No matter how beautiful a body wash may smell, it is not designed to be used on your vagina!
Instead, look at our pH balanced cleansing wash for natural, fragrance-free ingredients. It’s meant to be used to clean your lady bits. That means it’s not going to be too harsh for your vulva. Plus it can still help reduce unwanted odor.
2. Don’t stay in sweaty clothes.
When you work out hard, you will get sweaty. And we love getting a good solid sweat on! But staying in sweaty workout clothes is one of the most dangerous things for our vagina. It creates a breeding ground for bacteria, which means more odor.
So our rule of thumb is work out hard, race to get out of those sweaty clothes, and wash off your body before continuing on with your day.
3. Take extra care when on your period.
We get it—your time of the month can really suck sometimes. And it is such a pain to continually have to go to the bathroom. But waiting too long can cause it to get extra smelly down there, so don’t put it off.
4. Visit your doctor.
Sometimes we can’t do it all alone. If you are struggling to neutralize your vaginal odor on your own or are concerned visit your doctor! The smell could be a symptom of a much larger issue that you need medical assistance with. It is always better to be safe rather than sorry.
Let’s Wrap It Up!
It is never fun dealing with a funky odor in our most sacred and sensitive region. But we are here to tell you that you are not alone.
In more cases than not, there is generally nothing to worry about. We want all you fabulous ladies to keep in mind that there can be a range of factors that contribute odor down there.
What trick will you try the next time it starts to get a bit off down there? Whatever you try, just remember it’s all normal. You’ll be feeling great in no time!