Rooted from the Greek goddess of love, Aphrodite, aphrodisiacs are foods or drugs that can cause sexual arousal in pleasure and performance. Popular aphrodisiacs such as chocolates and strawberries are quite common in romantic gift-giving.
In addition, there are also certain herbs that are known to enhance sex drive and increased libido. If you’re looking for natural food sources to boost you or your partner’s sexual desire, check out these eight foods and herbs that can get you and your lover in the mood.
1. Oysters are known for their high content in zinc, which is great for male testosterone production and healthy sperm, oysters are one of the most popular aphrodisiacs that trigger sex hormones. Not only do they serve male sex drive, but they also play a role in the female libido. Oysters also increase dopamine which benefits both men and women, especially when eaten raw.
2. Chocolate, if you’re a chocolate-lover, you’re in for a real treat! Popularized in romance for Valentine’s Day and anniversaries, chocolates are the go-to for a reason. Chocolates release chemicals such as serotonin and phenylethylamine which triggers the brain when people fall in love.
3. Pistachio nuts, packed with protein, healthy fats, and fiber, pistachio nuts stimulate better blood flow throughout the body. Studies also show they may help with the symptoms of erectile dysfunction.
4. Saffron, derived from the Crocus sativus flower, saffron is a spice used to not only enhance your sexual mood, but to help treat stress and depression. You can consume this Indian spice as a powder or capsule.
5. Red Ginseng is another herb rooted from Chinese medicine known to improve erectile function, stamina and increase low libido especially in menopausal women. Considering drinking ginseng as a herbal tea!
6. Maca, which is backed by science, is a sweet root vegetable known to reduce the loss of libido and enhance sexual arousal. There is also strong evidence that it may increase sperm count and fertility in men.
7. Nutmeg, studies in mice have shown an increase in mating activity when consuming nutmeg. It is also known that this particular spice has been used for centuries to treat sexual disorders. Season away!
8. Pomegranates are an all-around fruit that’s loaded with antioxidants and other amazing health benefits. Did you know that its juice alone can increase testosterone levels by 30%? You should definitely expect sexual desire in both men and women with this tasty, fresh fruit.